*

*

Saturday, November 22, 2014

Symptoms I Have Faced With Depression


Before I go further into firefighter depression, I wanted to touch on signs and symptoms of depression as a base to my discussions. It is important to remember that people are individuals, and experience symptoms of all types of illnesses and injuries differently. I am going to go over several of the symptoms that I experienced, to give you some insight on how depression has directly affected me.

It is important to realize that everyone experiences depressed moods at times. An example of this could be a family death, and the family dealing with the grieving process. But with diagnosed depression, I have seen that the signs and symptoms are there, whether there is a major life event or not. Individuals that have depression can have times of depressed moods that could range from several days to many years depending on the choice to receive treatment, compliance, or effectiveness of the individuals treatment.

It is important to express, as previously stated, that not all symptoms are the same for every person that is affected by depression. The important point is to expose people to these signs and symptoms in order to recognize the presence of depression. The following is a brief summary of some of the symptoms that I have personally experienced over the years:

Increased Sadness: I have experienced many times of increased sadness at many points in my life. These experiences have come at all times of the day, and can exist with many other symptoms. The feeling of sadness will come on all of a sudden, and I have often found myself crying and having the feeling of complete sadness. I have noticed through my counseling and medications, that the incidence of sadness has decreased. But it is important to realize, like every single person in life, there are good days and bad. Medication and therapy only can control depression to some point. Surrounding yourself with positive activities or people and using positive coping techniques are critical to getting through these times.

In addition to sadness, I also experienced a great deal of feeling “worthless.” I felt like I was never good enough for anyone, and that I was always a burden on others. This was only a misconception in my head. Along the same lines, I also had periods of low self-esteem. I always had thoughts that I never looked good, that my attempts to be a good friend and family member were a failure, and I never had any confidence in any activity I did. With the decrease in self-confidence and lower self-esteem I also had trouble making decisions. Even simple every day activities that I would normally not even think about was hard for me. It took the positive words by my counselor and actually taking a good look at my life to realize that all of these thoughts were just symptoms of the depression. I really was a great person, succeeded at many things in life, and was ultimately a good friend and family member.

Loss of interest in activities that normally provide pleasure: One of the things that I find the most pleasure in is working out. There are times during my deepest and darkest times that the motivation to work out and stay active became very hard. This is a natural symptom of depression. It should also be noted in the section of loss of interest in pleasurable events that people that suffer from depression also can have a loss of interest and drive in their sex life. I have found in times of depression, even though I lack the motivation to do my work outs, I have to push myself to have that time. If it is hard to get motivated to do this activity, call someone who shares the same enthusiasm. Use them as a crutch to get into your activity. I have found that a small bit of pleasurable activity each day improves my mood and also gives me time to clear my head. It should also be noted that along with the loss of motivation to do activities, that an increase in fatigue and lower amounts of energy can be seen in patients with depression.

Withdrawal: There have been times in life that during depressed moods, I have found myself withdrawn and isolated from my friends and family. This symptom I can connect to many other symptoms mentioned in this post. I have found myself hurting so bad inside, horrible pain in my chest, and extreme sadness at times that it is so easy to just isolate yourself from others and lay in bed all day. There were even times that I wouldn’t even have the energy to shower each day. I found through therapy and doctors that although it isn’t normal for everyday life, that people with depression do at times have problems keeping up with hygiene. It is important to realize that you are on this earth for a reason, and taking care of the one body you have is essential to your everyday health. Although it is very easy to isolate yourself based off of your feelings, I found it very beneficial to come up with a list of people close to me that I can call if I feel these symptoms coming. Involving yourself in group activities or conversation with family and friends can help you to talk out your feelings and at times can help to lift the burden or pressure off yourself. Through these activities, I found that I was able to reduce the intensity of the symptoms. By sitting in bed or isolating myself from others, I found myself dwelling on my feelings and noticed that the symptoms increased drastically.

Sleep and Eating Changes: Here is an area that I referred to earlier that can be different between individual patients with depression, and can even change within the same patient. Personally, when I had extreme times of sadness, and loss of motivation and energy I turned to the isolation and spent a lot of time in my room dwelling on things. Soon, my time in my bed turned to countless hours of sleeping, both during the day and at night. On the other side of the spectrum, people with depression can also have an extremely hard time sleeping. The feelings of pain, sadness, or even racing thoughts keep the patient from sleeping. Both instances are not healthy for the human body and should be regulated by a doctor. Again as I stated previously, getting out of bed, surrounding yourself by positive people,  and participating in activities that are pleasurable and safe, helps to limit these symptoms and will reduce their intensity.

Eating changes are often another sign of depression. For some, a depressed mood will increase hunger. Many of the times, I found myself excessively eating. In addition to the increased food intake, I found foods that were unhealthy for me to be eating in excess (fast food, candy). If you have these cravings, have healthy food on hand to eat. I found it beneficial to pre-cut apples, and have bananas, yogurt, and granola bars on hand. Although the taste of pops and energy drinks were often times my choice of beverage, I found that cutting back on the sugars and adding water to my oral intake helped to control the weight gain and also was a healthier choice for my body. The other symptom related to eating is a lack of appetite. I also experienced this at times when I was so depressed, that I wouldn’t even get the energy to get out of bed to eat. Even if I had food in front of me, the feeling of pain outweighed the feeling of hunger and I went days at points without eating. This was also very unhealthy for me. After talking with doctors, I found that I had to add oral intake to my daily activities and eventually added the meal replacement drinks to my diet. Although I did not want to rely on this for my only intake, it still gave me nutrients and I wasn’t starving my body of one of its main means of energy.

Change in behavior and thoughts: I left this one for last because it had the biggest impact on me as a patient of depression. Due to the decreased mood, the never-ending sadness, and being tired, I began to become very irritable. Things that I normally could let roll of my back or just ignore infuriated me. I had numerous times that I said things to the people that I cared so deeply about that were very hurtful. I took my anger out on doors or walls, but in the end I was left with a mess and added expenses of repairing my house. Another thing that I experienced with irritability was that I was so low and so depressed that the times that my loved ones tried to help me or cheer me up, I pushed them further away from me. Realize that sometimes with depression we are at the lowest of lows and there are times that there doesn’t seem to be any light at the end of the tunnel. But use these loved ones to help you get through your tough times. You are not a burden on them. They come to you to help you because they love you and want the best for you. There have been many times in my life that I have felt alone, and that everything that I was going through in life I had to deal with on my own. But this is the farthest from the truth. Always know who your positive influences are in life, and call those people when you are having bad times. Come up with a list of these people and make a reasonable plan that you can implement should you feel depressed. These people will be there to listen and help you get through your though times. Include them in your healing process, don’t push them away.

With depression, I am first to admit that when it hits me, it feels like a freight train hit me head on. The pain and the sadness were always running through my head. I couldn’t get it out of my head that I was different then everyone else, that I wasn’t good enough, or that there was no possible way of achieving happiness. I was a very spiritual person, but for a time lost contact with that because I even began to blame God for the way I felt. I noticed that as the depression got worse, it took over my entire body. Physically I always had muscle aches that I can only compare to the flu. As mentioned earlier, I was always tired and unmotivated to even get out of bed. Mentally, it took over my thinking and I could only dwell on the negatives. I had problems concentrating, would forget things that would happen in the recent past, and at times couldn’t even concentrate when someone was talking to me. Soon sadness turned into major depression, and from there I began to have suicidal thoughts and plans. In my head and my heart I couldn’t see a positive end in sight. I began to think of ways of committing suicide, but from my experience it was always in a way that didn’t involve pain. In my past suicide attempts, every time I thought my body was ready to be done on this earth, I overdosed on my mediations combined with alcohol in the hopes of the pain decreasing, falling asleep, and finally being at peace inside. I now know that each time I tried to kill myself and woke up in the hospital, it was God’s way of telling me that it wasn’t my time, and that I was meant to be on this earth for a reason. Today, my goal in life is to help educate others about depression and be there for others that suffer from the same illness that I do. I have made it my personal mission to give these individual hope that through proper treatment and therapy you can overcome these thoughts and feelings, and that happiness in life is very achievable.

But as many firefighters and paramedics know, each person is unique and experiences life and illness in different ways. One example outside of the mental health topic is that women and diabetics are at times at risk of feeling different symptoms, if any, while having a heart attack. The above have been some of the experiences that I have encountered through road to achieving happiness again. Remember, that you are never alone. I looked up a statistic today and according to the National Institute of Mental Health, there are approximately 14.8 million adults that suffer from major depression. Recognizing the signs and symptoms and accepting them can be hard. But remember that you are not alone. You can use your positive influences in life (friends and family), doctors, counselors, and if you don’t anywhere else to turn, you can call the suicide and depression hotlines. These hotlines are manned by trained personnel that are there for you to talk to 24/7.

The above signs and symptoms are just a broad overview of things that I have felt throughout my fight with depression. But as I look back today, no matter how bad I felt or how badly I wanted to end my life, everything I went through made me a stronger person. It made me realize so much about myself and the positive qualities that I possessed and I am here advocating that life does get better, but taking the steps to seek help is the first step that you have to take. If you suffer from these symptoms, there is nothing wrong with you, you just see life differently at times. Do not be ashamed for how you feel or what others will think. The world wouldn’t be as good of a place for others with you gone.

I look forward to future posts where I can go into depth about my journey through life with depression, and the different treatments and therapy techniques I use. For further information on depression and the different signs and symptoms, visit the webpages for the National Institute of Mental Health or the National Alliance on Mental Health.

 I wish everyone a good weekend and a very happy and safe Thanksgiving!

And as always, stay safe and take care of each other.

Steve

No comments:

Post a Comment